Monday, August 10, 2009

Food, Glorious Food

A few days ago I had the privelege of making a food delivery to The Good Neighbor Shelter. The camp guy and I had been cleaning out the lodge kitchen, and were trying to figure out what to do with the extra (and there was a good bit of extra!), and thought about them.

Now, I'll be honest people - I have been to the Open Door, and to MUST Ministries, but I had never bothered to find out much about the homeless shelter that's LESS THAN 10 MINUTES FROM MY OWN HOUSE! But we had all that food and it didn't seem right to drive right by it to get to one out of town.

So I called. After some discussion and directions, I loaded up the van with this...



....and headed over. The shelter is relatively new, built in the mid-nineties, and relatively small, but makes a big difference for those in this community that need it (and beyond - while I was there they had a call from someone on the other side of Atlanta). The fact that it looks like a house, and has a large eat-in kitchen makes it feel more like extended family area than "hotel" or "shelter". And of course, as so many important programs do, it needs donations. If you live in the metro-Atlanta area, I encourage you to look into the Good Neighbor Shelter, and see if you can help them in some way. Or for those of you farther away, look into the shelters in your area and lend them a hand, or some groceries. Even if it's just some extra bread and cereal from camp.

love,
thehecticeclecticgirl


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you - keep those comments coming!

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected