Thursday, February 19, 2009

The problem with honey bees...

I've been reading a book on bees that i picked up at the library last week. I've read several articles on honey bees and the problems with pesticides that kill even our bee allies, but I wasn't sure I had the attention span for an entire book about the bee situation. I'm glad I picked it up, though, because it's actually been a fascinating look into how bees and the hive work, and the problems with our current agricultural system.

The book is Fruitless Fall: The Collapse of the Honey Bee and the Coming Agricultural Crisis by Rowan Jacobsen. It's really well-written. I encourage you to pick it up at your library, or if you're more of an online researcher, check out more about the link between honey bees and your food. The destruction of honeybees means more for our food supply than you might think.

And most importantly, buy honey from someone local! There are plenty of local bee-keepers looking for a market for their honey, and you'll know that what you're getting is actually 100% honey (which is not a given when you buy it from the grocery store! didn't know that? the honey you buy there may be as little as 40% honey!) Honeyish, anyone?

1 comment:

  1. Local honey tastes so good too--you don't realize what you're missing until you taste it.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you - keep those comments coming!

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected